Monday, September 12, 2016

The Night of My First Party

      Two weeks ago, I made the decision to finally be social. For those of you that don't know me personally, you have no clue how antisocial I really am. For example, in school, I eat my lunch with my friends in the little corner of a teacher hallway. Yes, you heard correctly, a teacher hallway. This decision was a pretty big deal to me, as I usually skip on anything I might have to see people at. But I was excited, it's my third year in high school and I was finally going to an adult party. In a novel, this would be a life altering event that made me realize that people are not all bad, but this is boring reality.
The idea to go to a part started when my friend M asked another if she wanted to go to a party in a group chat. I then promptly invited myself to this party, since I wanted one high school party experience. M has no problem with me coming, and we make plans for dinner and the party the next night. When I wake up the next morning, there are many unanswered texts about how the original party is a no go. Apparently, the party was on a bus and seats were unavailable. Disappointed, but still hopeful, we start scouring for another party. We possible find a "getty" (get together for those who were just as confused by the slang as I was) and everything becomes okay again in my world.          
Fast forward to the evening, and my friends are at my house before I am. That day, my parents had dragged me on a boat and held me captive until 6:00. I am also apparently bad at estimating the time events take, as I get multiple frantic calls of being locked out of my house and only a few minutes to explain how to get in before my phone dies. I finally arrive at my house, shower, and profusely apologize for making my friends wait what feels an eternity but is only 40 minutes. 
Showered and dressed we head to the restaurant, and I order what is overpriced, overcooked, and under flavored fish.
"Shittt guys we don't have a party to go to", says M.
"What do you mean? I thought we had that getty," I ask in disbelief afraid that the waiter will hear me and question why a girl that looks 12 is going to a getty.
"Nope, not happening, plans fell through", replies M. We then sit at the table for another twenty minutes texting everyone we know that could possibly be of assistance. No one is answering. 
Not yet defeated, we head back to the car and continue bothering people. The party maniac kid in our grade, finally comes through and gives us the address of a party relatively close to my house. I then stop texting my non-school party maniac friends, and relax. 
We arrive at the party, and are greeted by a high schooler that looks at least twenty-five, who is also wearing a lanyard. 
"Are you here for the party?" he asks.
"Yes" M gulps, as we know no one there.
"Alright, park right over there" he answers and walks away.
M looks at me and starts questioning if we really should go inside at all. The neighborhood is sketchy, we don't know the guy, and a million other problems come from her mouth. We start walking towards the doorway anyways, but this time I find myself agreeing with her. As we discuss our options, the 18-year-old going on twenty five, points to the door and says come in through there. This is when I grow some lady balls, and say, "Time to be a Gryffindor", and enter the house. I am then promptly greeted by the boy's mother who points to the backyard, which is when I shoot my friend M a questioning glance. I've never been to a party, but I'm a thousand percent sure that this is not the norm. Once we reach the backyard, I'm instantly disappointed. The music is barely audible, there's a table of beer pong set up but not played, and everyone is standing as if they're in a middle school dance. This is when girl T decides to whip out her phone and pretend that she's taking a call.
I start analyzing the crowd and realize two things, I'm not dressed even close to slutty enough, and that I'd rather be anywhere else. M and I talk about how lame the party is when the host starts interrogating us.
"You're cool but how the hell did you find out about the party?"
"Someone named S sent us here."
"I have no clue who the fuck that is. What school do you guys go to?"
"Somewhere in Boca."
"You didn't tell anyone else right? Because this party is already bigger than it's supposed to be and we don't need any Boca kids here"
"Nope, we're not from there and don't talk to any of them anyways."
After this, he swiftly turns away which leaves us back to discussing whether we should stay or not.  Unanimously we decide to leave. 
Once back in the car, we realize that there's not much to do, as the only other party we know about starts at 12, which is the same time as our curfew. Out of ideas, we head to a shady drive through that gives alcohol to underage minors. I am not an adventurous person, never got drunk, never got high, so we split the cost of a Smirzoff Green Apple pack of beer when we get to the drive through window. This is the drink that the girl who hates the taste of alcohol orders, just to look like she is fitting in. 
            The Smirzoff is the end of our night, and results in me being passed out in my bed at 11:00. The next morning, I receive the 11:00 pm text from T saying that someone in our school is throwing a getty, and I just sigh to myself.
    
                   


No comments:

Post a Comment